Friday, September 17, 2010

First Post in a while


Today at lunch, a group of us where taken out to thank us for working at a corporate conference. It was a nice lunch at P.F.Changs. I had the Mongolian Beef (most excellent!). I did have to sit next to the companies CIO. That was ok, no biggie. He could have put me under the grill for project dates, or problems with the program, but instead he just talked about general small talk stuff (Think Steve Martin).

So tonight, Suzy and I went to a Thia restaurant in Southlake. It's owned by a couple we know from when they had a place in Flower Mound we used to go to all the time. As I'm sitting there, the CIO of our company walks in with his family. We exchange greetings, and he and his wife and kids go on their merry way, and Suzy and I continue to order.

Then I start to think about all the people that worked at out company that can no longer afford to go out to dinner because he outsourced their jobs to a bunch of ID10T's. Not just your everyday ID10T's, but world class complete fuck ups. I wouldn't trust these people to wipe my ass. And when you talk to them, you have to speak at the level of a 4 year old. " Did you understand what I just said? Can you complete these tasks on time? Quite grinning and bobbing your head like a carnival trinket."

The more I think of this, I start thinking about what my US senator, John Cornyn says that we allow foreigners into our country to displace American works because our companies want the "Best and the Brightest" workers. I would love Cornyn to come to work so he can see what the Best and Brightest do all day. Come in late, spend all day at the coffee pot, leave early, and pawn all the work off to the Americans still left in the company. I don't care that Cornyn is a Republican, he will not be getting my vote next election.

What foreign displaced American workers need is a lobbying group in Washington to demand to know why jobs are being stripped from them when the unemployment rate is 10%. I wonder if I can get the TEA party to take issue with this practice.

What a great Friday night.

2 comments:

  1. PLEASE!! Find a Tea Party group and get involved!!! No time like NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its about the money and short sighted thinking. Outsourcing or sponsoring foreigners to take our jobs means the company pays less for the worked - and they get exactly what they pay for - crappy work for crappy pay.
    Especially with the outsourcing of programming, many companies have found that the code they get back does not meet requirements and needs to be re-written. The same is happening with foreign programmers sponsored to come here - there is a large communication deficit, they do not code to requirements and the code needs to be re-written.
    So, for a short-term cut in expenses (it keeps the quarterly stock price/dividend high for the Wall Street analysts), the company gets crap work, and the long-term consequences are detrimental to the company's financial health.

    ReplyDelete