Sunday, February 22, 2009

Catching Up

So, it's been a while since I wrote on this blog. I'm very excited, as next week I start my project with Improving Enterprises to rewrite the software I create almost 20 years ago. Sure, we re-wrote it once in 1998, taking it from 'C' to Visual FoxPro. But is is a re-conceptualization of the software. It's hard to describe. When it's done I'll put up some screen shots and let everyone know when it hits the stores for use.

And yet, as I feel excited, I wish it wouldn't be as bitter sweet still knowing that 200 + co-works will soon be out of a job. What I don't really understand is how massive amounts of knowledge can be discarded like yesterdays trash. These are people that have years and years of experience and knowledge that we are farming out to low-contact bidders from foreign lands. I think the company is headed in the wrong direction, and the nation as a whole, when companies don’t see what impact they have on the local and national economy. Do they think the billions of dollars they are paying these overseas companies will ever come back into our economy in terms of sales? They really can't be that naive, right?

Maybe it's the Hollywood movies I saw growing up, but I thought that if you took care of the company, the company would take care of you. But when all the owners of these companies look at is how much profit they made over last year, and they want more, at any expense it won’t be the people that got them there in the first place feeling needed or wanted.

I guess it's a dog eat dog world now, and personally I fear for the future of my children and my children's children, not to mention my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment